Newlands Primary School

Newlands Primary School
The generous LORD NEWLANDS donated this fine building in1896. He instructed the stonemasons to carve 'NEWLANDS PUBLIC SCHOOL' into the sandstone. Welcome all visitors! Click on the link "COMMENTS" below each Post to read what others have to say. And leave a Comment of your own too while you're here!

Monday, January 29, 2007

Telling The Time

One thing that sticks in my memory at newlands school, was that my teacher (Miss Foley) never had a watch and every now and then she would pick somebody in the class to go and find out the time on the school clock. Well I was just getting to grips with telling the time when she picked me, so off I went to the main hall where the clock was and to my absolute horror I discovered that the clock was in Roman numerals and there was no way I could figure out what the time was on that (slow learner). So I had to hang about the corridors until an adult passed and asked them the time. I got into a right row when I got back and told her that I had to go to the toilet while I was out but she was not amused at all.
(why the old bugger never had a watch, I don't know)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of the children in our class used to compete to be chosen to go and report back with the exact time shown on the big school clock. The teacher obviously had incorporated this exercise into the lessons on learning to tell time. Mind you, I can't remember when we were advanced enough to read the Roman Numerals.

Anonymous said...

I remember the BIG CLOCK in Newlands School quite well and enjoyed reading your posting.

I loved going to see the time as it enabled me to escape the drudgery of arithmetic from time to time. Any time I could escape from the classroom was "good" time in my mind back in those childhood days. It often got monotonous sitting in the classroom!

Brian Charlton said...

Nice to see a wee comment from Brian Barbour. Did you not end up in the same class as me at Riverside Brian ? at least for some subjects, although you were in the year above me at Newlands

Anonymous said...

I learned to tell the time by that clock I had to could you visualise coming back to the class
and saying the big hand is at twelve and the wee hand is at two
you would be scarred for life
Bobby Irvine

 

Web Counters
Hit Counter