Newlands Primary School

Newlands Primary School
The generous LORD NEWLANDS donated this fine building in1896. He instructed the stonemasons to carve 'NEWLANDS PUBLIC SCHOOL' into the sandstone. Welcome all visitors! Click on the link "COMMENTS" below each Post to read what others have to say. And leave a Comment of your own too while you're here!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Class of 1957/58 Miss Critchley

Posted by Picasa

This Newlands class photo shows my class with our teacher, Miss Margaret Critchley, before she left to get married and, with her bridegroom, go all the way to Australia where they would work as missionaries. Missionaries being sent to Australia in 1959? I wonder why Ozzies in Sydney, Australia needed missionaries by the nineteen-sixties.

Do you remember that Miss Critchley used to hold Scipture Union classes after school on Fridays? Do you remember if you ever attended any of the Scripture Union mtgs?

The S.U. meetings were held on the upper level end classrom on the boys wing - the Music Room - and they were FUN. We would sing well-known children's choruses, memorize scripture verses for prizes (special fancy pencils etc.) and compete in guessing games for other wee treats.

Miss Critchley always tried to include every child who was willing, and gently coached those who were a bit quiet or shy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not 100% sure but I think the person 3 row from top 3rd boy in is me George Gallacher if remember right the head master was Mt Thompson, but not sure.I had a friend called Carol Smith if anyone remembers me in the picture can you tell me if I am right.
regards George

 

Web Counters
Hit Counter