Newlands Primary School

Newlands Primary School
The generous LORD NEWLANDS donated this fine building in1896. He instructed the stonemasons to carve 'NEWLANDS PUBLIC SCHOOL' into the sandstone. Welcome all visitors! Click on the link "COMMENTS" below each Post to read what others have to say. And leave a Comment of your own too while you're here!

Monday, January 21, 2008

Rubber Glove Restaurant ...... by Anne Nish

To celebrate my father's retirement, we planned a special evening for him at the Crowwood Golf Club, where he happened to be Captain. It was a beautiful warm summer evening and the guests had enjoyed a wonderful evening's entertainment and fine dining. The photo below shows me with my dad, the Late Craig Davidson, taken that evening. (Dux Medallist in 1947 at Newlands Primary.)


As we prepared to leave for home, my father suddenly noticed that his gold ring, a precious family heirloom passed down to him from his own father, was missing from his finger. He was so distressed that we all pitched in to look for the ring. Dad thought it had most likely slipped off his finger during dinner, perhaps into a napkin or even into leftover food on his plate. What an uproar followed!

We searched the remains still on the table. We got down on our knees and searched UNDER the table. The waiters joined in the search for this family heirloom as they could see how upset my father was about losing it. We lifted dishes, looked under tablecloths, even checked in the restaurant's kitchens and still the ring could not be found. As a last resort, my husband and I had to borrow RUBBER GLOVES so we could rake through the rubbish bins outside....our hands felt through chicken carcasses and all the other food debris from the evening's diners. UGH. It was disgusting......

We just couldn't find it, and feeling a bit sad, we drove my parents home. No sooner was my father home than - hey presto - the precious ring was found in his golf bag - the NUMPTY !!

He had a good sense of humour though. Dad could appear to be quiet at times, but he enjoyed reading all kinds of books and he studied many Open University courses. (He did work for a while in Yarrows Shipyard before joining Springburn College.) He seems to have been a scholar. I know he worked hard to get where he was and I will always admire and love him for it. He was a good father and I wish I knew more about his younger life, at Newlands etc.
Best wishes to all. Thanks, Anne Nish.

by......ANNE (nee Davidson) NISH..of Cumbernauld, Glasgow.

No comments:

 

Web Counters
Hit Counter