Newlands Primary School

Newlands Primary School
The generous LORD NEWLANDS donated this fine building in1896. He instructed the stonemasons to carve 'NEWLANDS PUBLIC SCHOOL' into the sandstone. Welcome all visitors! Click on the link "COMMENTS" below each Post to read what others have to say. And leave a Comment of your own too while you're here!

Friday, February 23, 2007

PARKHEAD LIBRARY & BATHS - by "Boaby" Irvine

That good picture of the Parkhead Baths takes me back.
I remember well the baths and the steamie.

Monday morning would see all the wives and Mothers in the area with prams loaded up with the biggest bundles of washing you ever saw.

And of course there were the other bundles, smaller in size usually, with a suit or a coat.

These were destined for one of the two pawn shops up the street at Parkhead Cross where they would remain until the following Friday - in time for the man of the house's Friday or Saturday night oot at the pub.

I don't know if my Mam ever pawned any thing - but I am open to the concept that she may have had to.
My Dad was a coal miner and over the years he was on strike more times than I care to remember.

Good old Parkhead steamie!
.
(Posted by Robert (Boaby) Irvine)
.
aka Bobbythescot@yahoo.com
.
*Editor's Note:
Our Wee Bobby Irvine from Glamis Road, Parkhead, and former inmate of Newlands School, nowadays lives in eastern Canada, in the city of Oshawa, Ontario. He also maintains a summer residence in the beautiful Lake Country of Ontario, where he can spend time engaging in one of his favourite pastimes - fishing - and at the same time escape from the worst of the sweltering summer heat of the big city - not unlike the sweltering heat of the old Steamie!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to have pictures of our old classmates as they appear now - more than fifty years after we all began at Newlands Primary.

Anonymous said...

Your ded right Gary but where is your's LOL

Scotbandit said...

Och Bobby lad, there is a mug shot of Gary Nolan much further back in the blog.... near the beginning where Stew scanned all the photos in for us.

Look much further back to summer 2006 and you'll come to Gary's mugshot taken April 2006.

Anonymous said...

hello there. just found this site, I have been reading some comments about parkhead, and it brings back memmories good-- bad-- or indifferent i read that there were some photos some where but how do I find them can you help. I was born and bred in macduff st newbank ended up in the gallowgate for 5 yrs now I live in new zealand (32yrs) i remember the parkhead steamie very well went there every friday night without fail and when I was finished went straight accross to the cafe for the ginger 2 bottles and the jelly babies- dollymixtures and macaroon bars---- that was the only thing my husband would eat ----if he went to the cafe I would ask for chocolate crunch -- peanut brittle- sour plums-- all things like that he would come back with jelly babies and dolly mixtures----when i would ask him why he didn;t get what I wanted he would say I;m no asking for them you make those names up. he's learned now --now that he can't get the ones he wants here soooooo sad.

betty gray

Mrs. Sean Connery said...

To Betty Gray:
Hello Betty if you send an email to Brian.Charlton@talktalk.net he will be pleased to help you with finding photos. Your mention of sour plums is making me hungry for some!

Brian Charlton said...

Hi Betty Gray. As one of admin team said, I still live near Parkhead, so if there are any specific photo's you would like me to take, just let me know and I will try my best. I have been in N.Z. a few times, my son, his wife and our gtandaughter all live in the Hawkes Bay area not far from Napier. Nice to hear from you, get in touch about the photos.
Brian C.

 

Web Counters
Hit Counter