Newlands Primary School

Newlands Primary School
The generous LORD NEWLANDS donated this fine building in1896. He instructed the stonemasons to carve 'NEWLANDS PUBLIC SCHOOL' into the sandstone. Welcome all visitors! Click on the link "COMMENTS" below each Post to read what others have to say. And leave a Comment of your own too while you're here!

Monday, April 02, 2007

GLAMIS ROAD CHRISTMAS


Looking at the photo of Calton Church brought back this early Christmas memory.

Christmas eve, aboot wan in the mornin, saw me looking oot ma bedroom windae. I wis at that age when I never knew if Santa wis real or not - so it's Christmas and I canny sleep..... and forbye that.....IT'S SNOWING.....a rerr thing indeed!

It was so very quiet......and showing in the snow were two horizontal lines with what appeared to be scuff marks. Like something had been walking right down the middle of the road. Or could it have been something pulling something? A sleigh perhaps?
I was beside myself wi excitement.
There it was at last - the PROOF I needed.
My brother Stewart had been saying that Santa was only our Dad..... but I was a determined believer and having none of it. And now here was the proof!

I stood there and stared out at the softy falling snow and then I suddenly heard voices.

As I stared hard at the street with ma heart thumpin, the source of the voices came into view. It was two big Glesga Polis walking doon the middle of Glamis Road pushing their bicycles alang through the snow. One bike on either side and the two polis in the middle. I was gutted.

That was probably the worst Christmas I ever had. But I still believe in the festival of Christmas. And in my heart - who knows - maybe, like a lot of us, the child inside still believes just a wee bit..... don't you think?


(original Comment from Calton Church post: Editor)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a real good chrismas story. I mind myself when I wisnae shure about santa, ma big sister telt me it wiz oor next door neybour. it wisnae the same efter you knew wiz it?

Scotbandit said...

Wow. I love your Christmas Story Bobby.
You've brought it back to me too about the Santa thing.

I wanted to keep believing in Santa as my mum assured me he would not be so generous to children who didn't believe in Him, would he? Course not. So I didn't have much trouble believing.

I eventually found out that it was Mr. & Mrs. Crawford, who lived next door to us who kept my presents in their house until early on Christmas morning. My mum would very quietly retrieve them from Mrs. Crawford's and set them out beside our fireplace just as though Santa had just been. I was always warned too not to LOOK.....if I SAW Santa, he wouldn't be able to leave me any presents. It was some kind of rule at the North Pole.

Now that you've taken me down memory lane Bobby, I think it was good that our parents tried to keep our childhood joy for us as long as they could.
I wonder what age kids stop believing nowadays?

Gary T. Nolan said...

I don't know what you are talking about. There IS a real Santa if you've been good all year.

Anonymous said...

aha you said a mouthfull there Gary being good all week was a strech for me LOL
Boaby

Anonymous said...

Lived in Parkhead and like your blog. Enjoyed that piece on Santa. I had much the same thing happen myself and it is the time when your childhood begins to slowly ebb away I think - once your belief in something as basic as Santa is shattered. I caught sight of my father putting presents in the sock, and although he tried to talk me round, I just knew it must be him and not Santa who had been bringing the presents all along.
D. McAllister

Brian Charlton said...

To Dave McAllister. Nice to hear from you, glad you like the blog. We are just building it up just now, if there is anything you would loke to contribute, just e-mail it to me and I will port it on the blog front page.
Regards, Brian C.

 

Web Counters
Hit Counter